Is it rocking to take care of your skin? I think so. Because if your skin looks and feels good, then you internally feel better, and life gets a little brighter. That might sound superficial, but I say whatever to that. I know incredible women that take diligent care of their skin, and it’s ok to care about it. It’s the only skin we got, anyway. It’s about taking care of yourself. This involves getting enough sleep, eating pretty well (most of the time), and yeah….I like me some face products.
Here’s the quick down-low of what I use and love. A couple notes, too: I get regular facials every month or two (at Aloe, here in Austin), and much to the dislike and disagreement of many, I do NOT use any Retin-A or retinol, simply because I hate it, it makes me all red and flaky and weird and makes my skin feel thin. I’ve never used an eye cream either, because I feel like the less I touch my eye area, the better- sometimes I pat a product there, but I don’t do anything special. My skin is combination and I battle redness, hyperpigmentation (hormonal brown spots & sun damage), occasional breakouts, and wrinkles.
- Osmosis Rescue. A little pricey, but my number 1 item (about $110). An oxygenated serum, it heals all. A little goes a long way, so one bottle lasts. All over, once a day (ish), or spot treat. (Do NOT get the internal, it’s disgusting. External only. I order from Skincare by Alana.)
- Eminence Bamboo Firming Fluid. I get this at Aloe, and it’s a retinol alternative. Plumps up skin and I notice a difference when I run out. 2x/day. Makes Botox last months longer in my opinion (I hate Botox and do it reluctantly, forehead only, a couple of times a year, but that’s another article entirely.)
- Tammy Fender Clarifying Dermagel. Not really gel-like, more of a light lotion. Also at Aloe. My moisturizer pre-makeup, and sometimes I mix with my foundation. Smells amazing, like mint and thyme. Light. Very pure ingredients.
- The GlyPro system. This used to be Vivité, until SkinMedica bought it and changed the name. I use the exfoliating cleanser about once or twice a day (with Clarisonic sometimes), the serum every day or two, and the Renewal Night Cream, every night. These are glycolic products and they are badass. Warning: don’t order from SkinMedica! They never ship and their website just plain sucks. I buy at Westlake Dermatology in Austin. Call them, and you can get all three in a box for around $230. They last around 4 months; the cleanser, longer.
- SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum. I use this sporadically. I am on the fence about it. I will let you know more later, but one thing I do know is that people swear by this stuff because it contains some kind of fancy growth factor. I can live fine without it though since it’s stupid expensive (around $270). Also purchased at Westlake Dermatology.
- Neocutis BioSerum. Great consistency, love this stuff. Can I live without it? Yes, but I’d probably need the Bamboo Firming instead daily. I go periods without it.
A couple of other thoughts:
-I don’t buy skincare products from Amazon (just everything else). I always think the products are old or something. I stick with reputable offices and websites like Skincare by Alana.
-I do masks. I love Eminence masks- any one will do. Do a mask once a week. It’s good for you, and it’s relaxing. Even if it’s one you make yourself.
-I participate in lasers and all sorts of stuff. I do it all- I am likely a junkie. Over the last roughly 7 years (I started consistently in my mid- to late-thirties, and I am 43 now), I have consistently done something every 6 or 8 months. My list is long and pricey: Clear + Brilliant, Facial Acupuncture, Ultherapy, Fraxel, HALO, IPL, BBL, injectables, and I am probably forgetting something… Just ask if you want to know more, and I will write a review of those treatments sometime later this year.
-Whatever you do, if you just get one or two good products and do a little something consistently (even an inexpensive or DIY mask every week), then you’ll see results. A little bit, all the time; that’s my motto. Don’t feel like you have to run out and spend a lot of money right away- I have gradually accumulated these products over time. I wanted to share because people ask and I don’t mind telling, even if you think I am nuts (and I am; it’s ok!).
Peace / love / rock / and happy skin!