Lately we at RY have been thinking about being a FORCE in the world. But I gotta be honest- frankly, sometimes, I don’t feel at all like a force. Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed and, well, a little puny.
Deep down, I know that I possess power. I know that I am a powerful original, as are you. And we each carry the ability to be a true force to be reckoned with. Even the most powerful storms have specific conditions, and they have moments where those conditions ebb and the storm takes a breather, so to speak.
Maybe our moments of feeling less-than powerful are just our moments to breathe. Perhaps we should appreciate and tune into them in order to ready ourselves for the next surge. So when you have those moments, let’s tune in with these 5 tricks:
- Hold onto the knowledge that you are still a force. Just because you’re having an un-powerful moment doesn’t diminish that fact. Write it down if you have to, or think back to a moment that you did feel powerful and take note. It’s there; don’t allow yourself to forget it.
- Count to 100. I recently read this tip from the wonderful people at School of Life Design, so I tried it. It’s a variation of meditation, and it gets you out of your own head longer than the old count-to-ten thing. You’ll hit reset a little faster, plus you’ll focus on your breath and getting centered.
- Make preparations. Coming with the knowledge that you will summon your inner force again, take a second to prepare, just as you would for an upcoming storm. You might make some healthy meal options, start a few articles, or clean or organize something. These are little mental preparations that will help set you up for a more streamlined approach down the road. I know that when I am not feeling like a songwriting powerhouse, simply straightening out all my music and guitar paraphernalia sets me up to be more successful when I am ready.
- Appreciate the moment. I’m always on this train, as you may well know. As they say, you’ve gotta have the downs to appreciate the ups. So don’t sweat these times. Let them be. Breathe, rest, take a walk, exercise. Pet your dog. Look at the sky, and hug your S.O. or your kid. Be-ing is a-ok. So give yourself that. Even the biggest storms subside sometimes.
- Create the tiny droplets that form your next FORCE. I’m a huge believer that little things on a daily basis ADD UP. Those are your little water droplets that will create your next forceful movement. Lightning doesn’t just happen. Rather, “lightning forms when updrafts of air carry water droplets, which have a charge, upward… as these particles begin to fall back to Earth, charges within the cloud become mixed. The differences in charge are released as lightning.” Those little bits are required to form something bigger. That’s part of it. So if you can’t do anything else, spend five minutes on whatever it is. Or create a new note on your phone. Anything counts, because those are your little charged particles, readying to become lightning!